In 1856 settlers started coming from Indiana, Maine, and Pennsylvania to claim land. After the Civil War German settlers made their way to Camden Township in 1860. The Great Northern Railroad once ran through the northern portion where New Germany and Mayer were established as stations. In 2006, an estimated 939 residents made their home in Camden Township, making it the 6th most populous township in Carver County. Camden Township has a total land area of approximately 34 square miles (22,009 acres) and has a landscape suitable for agriculture due to the excellent drainage of the Crow River. Camden Township borders Hollywood Township to the north, Waconia Township to the east, Young America Township to the south, and McLeod County to the west.